Are you looking for inspiring Lent quotes for kids? Then you are in the right place!
Here are 99 Best Lenten Sayings for Families including matching books, activities, and free printable Lent quotes.
Let’s have a look!
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is Lent?
Lent is a 40-day period in which Christians remember the events leading up to Jesus Christ’s death with prayers and fasting.
The Lent season starts on Ash Wednesday and ends when the sun goes down on Holy Thursday.
Millions of Christians around the world give things up during Lent to test their self-discipline and as a symbol of sacrifice to honor Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for us.
Most people will pick food, a hobby, or a habit to give up for Lent.
How Can Children Participate in Lent?
Even children can participate in Lent. If 40 days of giving up something is too much for them, you could also just limit their input or add something during the season of lent.
For example, you can make it a family tradition to go weekly to confession, pray the rosary, study the bible, or volunteer as a family.
Lent Books for Kids
Here are some great books on Lent for you:
Are you interested in more kid’s activities, arts & crafts, and science experiments?
I have made it easy for you! Join our newsletter now and I will send you new fun for kids.
Subscribe for free
99 Lent Quotes for Kids
Lent is starting this year on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, and ends on April 8, 2023.
What do you plan on giving up for Lent? How will you include your children in the season of fasting?
I hope my ideas above will help you choose a fasting idea for your family.
Here are some motivational quotes for Lent to help you during these 40 days before Easter.
Our list includes the best Lent quotes for kids, inspiring lent quotes and sayings, motivational Lent phrases, happy Lent wishes and messages, quotes on Lent, fasting quotes, Lent quotes from the bible, fun lent captions, and many more.
At the end of this post, you also will find our free printable Lent quotes. Don’t forget to check them out before you leave.
Let’s have a look and get inspired!
Lent Sayings for Kids
First are our lent quotes for children:
- “Reflect the nature of God through the spirit of your sacrifice.” – Unknown
- “As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus’ thirst… He knows your weakness. He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you.” – Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
- “During Lent, let us find concrete ways to overcome our indifference.” – Pope Francis
- “Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring.” – St. Catherine of Siena
- “I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord, your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9 (NRSV)
- “Nothing, how little so ever it be, if it is suffered for God’s sake, can pass without merit in the sight of God.” – Thomas a Kempis
- “Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven.” – St. Rose of Lima
- “Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?” – Ven. Fulton Sheen
- “The lent period of fasting should be passionately pursued.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “We must trust in the mighty power of God’s mercy. We are all sinners, but His grace transforms us and makes us new.” – Pope Benedict XVI
“But what did Jesus give up for our souls? Surely we can follow His path with a sacrifice for 40 days.”Unknown
Inspiring Lent Quotes
Next are our inspirational Lent quotes for kids:
- “You don’t know how to pray? Put yourself in the presence of God, and as soon as you have said, ‘Lord, I don’t know how to pray!’ you can be sure you’ve already begun.” – Saint Josemaría Escrivá
- “God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy.” – Pope Francis
- “Have patience with all things, but first of all with yourself.” – St. Francis de Sales
- “For as the heavens are high above the earth, so is his mercy great upon those who fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.” – Psalm 103:11-12 (BCP Psalter)
- “There’s something about it that makes sense, Lent. You give something up, and everything’s more joyful.” – Elaine Stritch
- “Do you wish your prayer to fly toward God? Make for it two wings: fasting and almsgiving.” – St. Augustine
- “There are ways of being crucified that do not involve rough wood or heavy nails, but a love beyond our capacity to love, which means a love that has been given to us by God…” – Catherine Doherty
- “Exchange what can never satisfy you for the only thing that can.” – Wendy Speake
- “The Lord measures out perfection neither by the multitude nor the magnitude of our deeds, but by the manner in which we perform them.” – St. John of the Cross
- “In light of your longed-for return, we choose to deny ourselves (fast) certain pleasures for this brief season; but we’re not looking to get one thing from you, Jesus – just more of you.” – Scotty Smith
“When you put down your phone, it’s easier to lift up your eyes.”Wendy Speake
Lent Quotes from the Bibel
Check out these short Lent quotes from the Bible:
- “And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)
- “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.” – Matthew 6:16
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16
- “Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” – Genesis 2:7
- “God did not give the Bible so we could master him or it; God gave the Bible so we could live it, so we could be mastered by it. The moment we think we’ve mastered it, we have failed to be readers of the Bible.” – Scot McKnight
- “And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me” – Luke 9:23.
- “I can do all things through him who strengthens me!” – Philippians 4:13 (ESV)
- “All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.” – Ecclesiastes 3:20
- “…and said to him, ‘Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.’ ” – Ezekiel 9:4
- “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” – Galatians 2:20
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.Peter 5:6
Did you enjoy our Lent greetings for kids?
Then go check out our Spring Activities and Spring Quotes next!
Quotes About Lenten Fasting
Now it is time for our Christian quotes about fasting and Lent.
- “Give something, however small, to the one in need. For it is not small to one who has nothing. Neither is it small to God, if we have given what we could.” – St. Gregory Nazianzen
- “We are frail, sinful people who need to often reconsider our priorities, motives, and commitments. And fasting, which has both historical and biblical precedent, is a great way to foster reorientation.” – Kevin P. Emmert
- “What if we view this desert time of Lent as not just a time to reflect or to lament or to confess or to fast, but a time where we learn to be free?” – Megan Westra
- “The goal of fasting is inner unity. This means hearing, but not with the ear; hearing, but not with the understanding; it is hearing with the spirit, with your whole being.” – Father Thomas Merton
- “Lenten fasts make me feel better, stronger, and more active than ever.” – Catherine of Genoa
- “It is not just about giving up our favorite food but it’s about going further and giving up things like hatred and unforgiveness. You need to clean your heart and prepare yourself for purity.” – Amanda Jobs
- “As you mourn your sins and weaknesses this Ash Wednesday through fasting, mourning, and weeping, may you be truly transformed from your heart.” – John Tribes
- “…Although we may be able to do but little, the enemy nevertheless stands more in awe of those whom he knows can fast.” – St. Francis de Sales
- “Lent comes providentially to awaken us, to shake us from our lethargy.” – Pope Francis
- “You could say that prayer without fasting is like boxing with one hand tied behind your back and that fasting without prayer is, well, dieting.” – Matt Fradd
“You are more than what you have, you are more than what you do. Giving up something for Lent is just a gesture, but it can change everything for you.”Unknown
Catholic Lent Quotes
Millions of Christians all over the world participate in lent. Here are our motivational catholic quotes for Lent:
- “(Lent) is a period of spiritual ‘combat’ which we must experience alongside Jesus, not with pride and presumption, but using the arms of faith: prayer, listening to the word of God, and penance. In this way we will be able to celebrate Easter in truth, ready to renew the promises of our Baptism.” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “The kingdom of God ought to reshape our vision of what matters.” – Russell D. Moore
- “Ash Wednesday is full of joy… The source of all sorrow is the illusion that of ourselves we are anything but dust.” – Father Thomas Merton
- “At its simplest, Lent is a season where you commit to a deeper holiness and more vibrant discipleship.” – George Sinclair
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16 (NRSV)
- “God is not interested in your art but, your heart.” – Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
- “Lent affords us the opportunity to search the depths of our sin and experience the heights of God’s love.” – Chuck Colson
- “Lent is a time of going very deeply into ourselves… What is it that stands between us and God? Between us and our brothers and sisters? Between us and life, the life of the Spirit? Whatever it is, let us relentlessly tear it out, without a moment’s hesitation.” – Catherine Doherty
- “In the here and now, may we embrace the power of his resurrection to live a godly life.” – Joni Eareckson Tada
- “Renounce yourself in order to follow Christ; discipline your body; do not pamper yourself; but love fasting.” – Saint Benedict
“Every day that we’re not practicing godliness we’re being conformed to the world of ungodliness around us.”Jerry Bridges
During Lent, you are fasting. Check out our quotes about giving up things for Lent:
- “The ultimate goal of fasting is to help each one of us to make a complete gift of self to God.” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “Fasting is the soul of prayer, mercy is the lifeblood of fasting. So if you pray, fast; if you fast, show mercy, if you want your petition to be heard, hear the petition of others. If you do not close your ear to others, you open God’s ear to yourself.” – St. Peter Chryosologus
- “Fasting is more about longing for the power and presence of Jesus than restricting our appetites.” – Gary Rohrmayer
- Prayer is reaching out after the unseen; fasting is letting go of all that is seen and temporal. Fasting helps express, deepen, and confirm the resolution that we are ready to sacrifice anything, even ourselves to attain what we seek for the kingdom of God. – Andrew Murray
- “Lenten practices of giving up pleasures are a good reminder that the purpose of life is not pleasure. The purpose of life is to attain a perfect life, all truth, and undying ecstatic love – which is the definition of God. In pursuing that happiness, we find happiness.” – Fulton J. Sheen
- “Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fire of lust, kindles the true light of chastity.” – St. Thomas Aquinas
- “Prayer strikes the winning blow; service is simply picking up the pieces.” – S.D. Gordon
- “Lent is a fitting time for self-denial; we would do well to ask ourselves what we can give up in order to help and enrich others by our own poverty. Let us not forget that real poverty hurts: no self-denial is real without this dimension of penance. I distrust a charity that costs nothing and does not hurt.” – Pope Francis
- “Fasting confirms our utter dependence upon God by finding in Him a source of sustenance beyond food.” – Dallas Willard
- “Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fire of lust, kindles the true light of chastity.” – St. Augustine
“Prayerful fasting brings us closer to God.”Unknown
Easter Quotes for Lent
Lent is paving the road to Easter. Here are our quotes about Lent for Easter:
- “Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday.” – Ven. Fulton Sheen
- “From the darkness will come rejoicing; He will rise from the dead.” – Unknown
- “Lent is like a long ‘retreat’ during which we can turn back into ourselves and listen to the voice of God, in order to defeat the temptations of the Evil One. It is a period of spiritual ‘combat’ which we must experience alongside Jesus, not with pride and presumption, but using the arms of faith: prayer, listening to the word of God, and penance. In this way, we will be able to celebrate Easter in truth, ready to renew the promises of our Baptism.” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “Prayer does not change the purpose of God. But prayer does change the action of God.” – Chuck Smith
- “In order to know the Good News about Jesus holistically, beyond something that we work out in our brains like a word problem, we try to enter into this story with our bodies.” – Tish Harrison Warren
- “I think that that’s really important to have those seasons where you do some really serious soul searching and deep introspection and really carry the weightiness of that.” – Megan Westra
- “Lent is the time to plant the seeds of faith for what is yet to come.” – Unknown
- “…the Word was with God, and the Word was God. That’s where God is from, and knowing that changes everything. And, where am I from? I am from God. …not easy to believe.” – Ken Untener
- “Lent stimulates us to let the Word of God penetrate our life and in this way to know the fundamental truth: who we are, where we come from, where we must go, what path we must take in life.” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “Remember that Lent and Ash Wednesday are not just about putting away the bad things. It is more about creating good things and helping the poor and the needy, being kind to people, and much more.” – Jacob Winters
“Fasting is but a small price to pay for the light of the Lamb of God.”Unknown
Happy Lent Wishes
What do you think about this happy Lent messages for kids?
- “Happy 40 day of Lent.”
- “May the small sacrifices of Lent prepare you for the bounty of Christ’s love.” – Unknown
- “Seek a relationship when you pray, not answers. You won’t always find answers, but you will always find Jesus.” – Father Mike Schmitz
- “O lord, make this Lenten season different from the other ones. Let me find you again. Amen.” – Henri Nouwen
- “May you find cleansing and renewal in this season of sacrifice.” – Unknown
- “Let Lent be your personal respite from material luxuries so you can focus on your walk in faith.” – Unknow
- “During these 40 days, let me put away all my pride. Let me change my heart and give up all that is not good within me. Let me love God with all that I am and all that I have.” – Genesis Grain
- “As Lent is the time for greater love listen to Jesus’ thirst… ‘Repent and believe’ ” – Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
- The proof of love is in the works. Where love exists, it works great things. But when it ceases to act, it ceases to exist. – Pope St. Gregory the Great
- “Realising your potential and spirituality begins with seeing yourself as imperfect with the intent of working towards perfection.” – Victor Vote
“May the grace of the Holy Spirit rejuvenate your faith this Lenten season.”Unknown
Fun Lent Captions
Last but not least are our funny Lent captions for Instagram and social media:
- “Fasting nourishes your faith.”
- “I kinda don’t do guilt. I gave it up for Lent years ago.” – Greg Boyle
- “Lent leads to everlasting life.”
- “Fasting serves as a reminder of the bounty in our lives.”
- “Prayerful fasting brings us closer to God.”
- “Each year, around the latter part of winter, Lent arrives. It nearly always surprises me. Here it is, once again, summoning me to change how I typically live.” – W. David O. Taylor
- “It is not a simple matter of living through forty days; Lent is the epitome of our whole life.” – Saint Augustine of Hippo
- “Prayer strikes the winning blow; service is simply picking up the pieces.”
- “Lent is a journey that brings us closer to the light of God.”
- “The practice of fasting represents a passion for the path of Christ.” – Unknown
“Committing to giving up something for 40 days can help you grow in your faith and motivate you to free yourself from potentially destructive habits.”Unknown
For our visual learners, here is the lent quotes video I made for you:
I also like to introduce you to the following quotes for kids:
- Ash Wednesday Quotes
- Mardi Gras Quotes for Kids
- Presidents Day Quotes
- March Quotes
- Act of Kindness Quotes
- Easter Messages
- Love Quotes
- Friendship Quotes
- New Beginning Quotes
- Confidence Quotes
- Good Morning Quotes
- Quotes for Special Occasions
Lent and Easter Activities for Kids
After you are done with these inspiring Lent wishes, go check out these fun Easter activities next:
- DIY Candle for Lent Cross
- Lamb of God Craft
- Easter Chicken Craft
- Dye Easter Eggs With Shaving Creme
- Sheep Template
- Free Printable Easter Egg Outlines
- Handprint Chicken
- 10 Adorable Chicken Crafts
- DIY Easter Cards
How to Download Your Free Printable Lent Quote PDF
Simply sign up here for our newsletter and you will receive the link to our free printable Lent Lunch Notes.
Already a subscriber? Don’t worry, no need to subscribe twice. I just updated our free printable library.
You can find our best Lent caption notes printable there or check our latest newsletter for more information.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I m happy to help!
Pin Our Inspiring Lent Quotes for Kids
Don’t forget to save our 99 Best Lent Sayings on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Lil Tigers here.
Now I would like to hear from you!
Which saying about Lent did you choose? Did you find a better one?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.
I love to hear from you!
Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and join our Facebook group “Free Kids Activities Arts & Crafts” for more fun DIY Kid’s Activities, Arts & Crafts, and Science Experiments.
Are you a Kids Blogger? Join our Kids Blogger Support Group here.