I mean seriously, who doesn’t like ice cream? Try this super fun ice cream bar party idea for your next get together.
All you need is different ice creams and toppings.
Let’s dive right in and get inspired!
Did you discover our Facebook group “Free Kids Activities Arts and Crafts” yet? Join us here for more fun kid’s activities, arts and crafts, science projects, and educational resources.
DIY Ice Cream Bar Party Idea
My kids are obsessed with it. They want to eat ice cream every day this summer.
Normally popsicles are enough for them but on special occasions, we go and get real ice cream.
My son’s birthday came up last week and I needed a fun idea for his birthday party.
Summers are hot here end of July so I planned on going swimming in the backyard with the kids. First, we had coffee and birthday cake but I wanted to do something different, special for him.
So nothing was more suitable than having an ice cream bar after the pool.
Are you interested in more DIY Kids Activities, Arts & Crafts, and Easy Science Experiments? Subscribe to our newsletter now and never miss an update on new ideas for kids or free printables! Click here
I made a cute ice cream party invitation and prepared everything for his special day.
Here is what I bought for our ice cream bar:
- different flavors of ice cream
- ice cubes or crushed ice
- different toppings
- marmalade jars
Be aware this recipe is easily changeable and durable in so many different ways. Just adjust it to your occasion and family and guest’s needs.
Here is the full step by step tutorial:
Step 1: Planning
Are you doing it inside or outside?
What is your temperature like?
Is it a super hot day or are you in a room with air-conditioning?
As mentioned before we did our bar outside on a hot day. Therefore I used a cooler.
Inside you can easily arrange everything nicely in a big bugged or bowl. Do you prefer to use jar containers for the ice cream, cups, or cones?
It is just a matter of preference.
Step 2: Go shopping
After you thought through what kind of ice cream bar you like to have and where to go and buy all your essentials.
I used 3 different kinds of ice cream flavors and let my kids pick their favorite flavors, strawberry, stracciatella, and banana split.
As for toppings, I got marshmallows, sprinkles, and chocolate chips.
There are hundreds of possibilities: All kinds of fruits like strawberries, blueberries, or pineapples. Different colors of sprinkles, nuts, or pretzels.
Some People like cream on their ice or different sauces like chocolate or caramel.
Step 3: Preparation
After you decided how you want to set up your dessert bar its time for preparation.
- Fill the cooler with crushed ice.
- Portion different kinds of ice cream scoop in the marmalade jars. Count your expected guests and make sure you have enough for everyone.
- Put the toppings in the containers as well.
- Place all jars on top of the crushed ice in the cooler.
- Counted the ride amount of spoons and placed them on top of the jars.
- Closed the cooler and you are good to go.
- Open your cooler outside and arrange all the toppings on a picnic table or blanket. Leave the ice cream cups in the ice and take them out only when you need them!
- Add your desired toppings to your jar full of ice cream and simply enjoy it!
This might be interesting for you too: - 20+ Best Summer Activities - Strawberry Popsicle Recipe - 20+ Back to School Ideas
- lt does not take long to prepare the ice cream bar but I do not recommend placing it out hours before your event starts. This would be the last thing on my to-do list in order for the ice cream not to melt!
- Children can be picky! If you don’t know your crowd it might be better to prepare different bowls for each flavor of ice cream and everyone can arrange their own portion after their liking.
- I m sure everyone is aware that this party idea is not the healthiest but clearly delicious. Maybe it makes you feel better to use sorbet, fat-free ice cream, or simply make a yogurt bar out of it instead of an ice cream treat!
- Maybe you even like to make your own ice cream with fruits from your garden. This would be even better than buying it in the store!!!
- If you have smaller toddlers at your party, make sure all the toppings are safe for them. That way nobody has to worry about joking hazards and everybody can enjoy the occasion!
- Since my son’s birthday party was an ice cream party, I decorated accordingly and offered other snacks and matching cake to our party theme. I also made popsicle cake, ice cream shaped cookies, and served fruit in ice cream cones.
Follow us on Instagram for more fun ideas for kids!
Our ice cream party was a full success. Everyone loved it!
We are not eating ice cream with toppings every day or weekly so it was perfect for this special occasion!
Please remember depending on where you are living to follow social distancing rules and be safe!
Therefore we didn’t have a big birthday party as well. We only invited my son’s cousin and best friend at the same time together with his parents!
Just don’t forget you still can have a great time and make it a special day with little but effective ideas like this ice cream bar!
I hope you liked this easy ice cream bar party idea. Don’t forget to leave a comment below and add a picture.
I love to hear from you!